Chances are good that you've had a slice or two of supreme pizza in your lifetime, but have you ever thought about incorporating the meal into another recipe? Well it turns out that the ingredients translate quite well as a lasagna! Of course this lasagna recipe takes the pizza dough out of the equation, but fear not, the rest of the meaty-cheesy- goodness ingredients are layered together in a single dish just like your traditional lasagna. Pizza sauce and pepperoni star in every bite. This will be a new favorite weeknight meal for your entire family!!
Feel free to personalize this dish however you see fit—just like pizza, lasagna is a dish that can be tailored to the taste preferences of just about anyone so don't be afraid to add your own special touch.
This recipe is so easy and can be made ahead for dinner on busy weeknights!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jar of Pasta Jay's Classic Marinara or Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- One 15-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/3 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 30 ounces whole-milk ricotta
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for sprinkling
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked until al dente
- 24 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- To begin, drizzle the olive oil into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat (sausage, ground beef and pepperoni) and stir, breaking the meat up as it begins to cook. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat has browned, and then remove the meat. Place the meat on a plate, but keep it close by.
- Add the veggies (mushrooms, garlic, bell peppers and onions) to the pot and sauté until the mushrooms have softened and the others have some color. Add the meat back in along with the Pasta Jay's Sauce, pesto, half the parsley, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper and the crushed red pepper flakes. Stir together while reducing the heat to low and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes. Finally, add the black olives and then continue stirring.
- The meat is cooked and the sauce has been prepared. Now it's time to put together the mixture of cheeses. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the cheese mixture you'll need to first combine the ricotta and eggs in a large bowl. Then add the Parmesan, the rest of the parsley and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir the mixture thoroughly until totally combined.
- To assemble the lasagna you'll need to overlap 4 lasagna noodles in the bottom of a large rectangular baking dish. Spoon half the cheese mixture over the noodles and smooth it out into a flat layer. Next, lay half of the mozzarella slices on top followed by half of the meat sauce. Repeat this layering process once more and top with some extra Parmesan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the dish is warm all the way through and the cheese on top is bubbling.